Quite recently I took the liberty of making a list of some of the things I have learned about autism through reflection. I then narrowed it down to 10 of my quotes that I feel best express my understanding of the subject. They are as follows:
- Autism can’t define me, only I can define autism.
- Give advice to others in the autistic community through your own experiences.
- If someone calls you “awkward,” just know that it means you’re “unique” and a lot better than “ordinary”.
- I’m great at several things and broken in none.
- Ignorance is all around us but awareness is around the corner if we want it to be.
- Feeling sorry for myself will get me nowhere.
- We need to stop labeling and instead integrate, “people with people” in our communities who have different needs.
- Inclusion in schools will never mean I’m secluded from an education.
- Autism is not a disease, rather a disability that every day I strive to become an A-bility.
- Communication never takes a vacation.
As someone diagnosed with Autism at a very early age, I know the, “conversation” doesn’t end here. What are your thoughts on this list? Feel free to comment below!
*Note: I wrote this blog via Autism Speaks Official Blog.*